Posts tagged with: fire

Medals for hero firemen

Honoring the Brave – The Montreal Herald Apr. 6, 1885

Gold Medals for Firemen Briere, Dubois and Provost.

It will be remembered that early on the morning of February 20th last a disastrous fire took place in a boarding-house at 1995 Notre Dame street, during which the corpse of the lady who had been proprietor of the place was reduced to ashes, one person was burned so terribly that death ensued, and others were rescued from a similar fate by the plucky and humane efforts of the hosemen from No. Four fire station. At considerable personal risk they carried down a number of boarders from the top flats of the building and prevented a more serious loss of life. To mark in a becoming manner how the services of the firemen in question have been appreciated, for their behavior at the place mentioned, a number of residents and business men of Notre Dame street West propose presenting the three men with a medal each as a token of regard. The medals have been designed and manufactured by Mr. Theodore White, whose experience in such matters has enabled him to turn out three of the prettiest trophies imaginable. The medals and appendages are of the finest gold, each four inches long. Over the clasp are a pair of crossed hose branches elegantly chased. A fireman’s helmet is attached below, being connected with the medal proper by a scroll bearing the date “1885,” and supported by crossed hose keys. The medal is somewhat larger than a double eagle and bears the name of the man to whom it is to be presented and the nature of the service for which it is awarded. The parties to whom these are to be presented are Pierre Prevost, Arthur Briere and Cleophas Dubois, all of the Chaboillez Square Station. It is expected that the presentation will take place during the week, and will be accompanied by an illuminated address. In the meantime, the medals may be viewed at Mr. White’s.


Woman dies after knocking over lamp

Burned to Death – The Montreal Daily Herald May 26, 1886

A woman named Mary Ann Dwyer, residing at 59 Colborne street, was occupied whitewashing a room in her house yesterday morning, when she overthrew a lighted lamp, which exploded and set fire to her clothing. Notwithstanding her desperate efforts and the assistance of friends, who rushed to her assistance, she was terribly burned and fell fainting to the floor. The house was set on fire but the prompt action of the men from No. 3 station soon extinguished the flames. The poor woman was removed to the General Hospital in an ambulance, being attended to by Dr. Macdonald. She expired at half-past three o’clock in the afternoon in terrible agony. The coroner will hold an inquest this morning.


Troublemakers don't take Sunday off

Sabbath-Breaking – The Montreal Daily Witness Apr. 20, 1868

Yesterday afternoon, a parcel of boys were playing lacrosse in the Montreal Cricket Ground; and, before they left, set fire to the dry grass in the field, causing considerable annoyance and alarm to the Sunday-school assembled in the church near by. The police should keep an eye on the fields on Sunday, to prevent desecration of the Sabbath.


Fire kills prisoners in Laval

Fire in St. Vincent de Paul Penitentiary – The Montreal Daily Herald Apr. 16, 1886

The report reached the city yesterday of a serious fire which occurred on Wednesday evening in the St. Vincent de Paul Penitentiary. It seems the flames were discovered just before the supper hour in that part of the prison occupied by the tailors and shoemakers. The prisoners were all hard at work at the time. No clue has been found to the origin of the blaze, but it is believed to have been incendiary. No prisoners escaped. The damage amounts to about $5,000.